AOA Seminar—Basics of Fracture Management for Operating Room Personnel
Goal of the seminar
The AOA Seminar – Basics of Fracture Management for ORP provides fundamental knowledge in the operative treatment of fractures according to the AO Principles.
This seminar is targeted to any Operating Room Personnel (ORP) interested in developing knowledge and skills in operative fracture management.
The seminar provides didactic presentations, group discussions between participants and faculty and practical exercises/demonstrations to apply different operative techniques.
This seminar will address
- AO principles of fracture fixation
- Fracture healing
- Treatment of shaft fractures
- Perioperative problems and complications in fracture care
- Perioperative nursing topics in trauma care
- Hands on practical exercises with artificial bones to apply the techniques and promote familiarization with the instrumentation
- Interaction between faculty and participants to clarify understanding
By the end of the seminar participants will be able to:
- Describe AO Principles for the operative stabilization of fracture
- Relate soft-tissue damage, fracture healing, and surgical intervention in the injured patient
- Plan appropriate care for patients in the peri-operative environment
- Anticipate potential pitfalls and intra-operative complications in fracture care
- Formulate systems for maintaining safe standards of practice
- Prepare and use appropriate instrumentation/implants for fracture treatment
- Use professional networks to share ideas, challenge poor practice and provide support